I realised recently that wherever we go, we almost always bring a camera and we will often find ourselves hiding behind the lens, trying to capture the moment. This can quite easily become a problem. Often, we have such a great desire to capture the moment on a camera that we forget about the actual moment and the atmosphere. Say you are at a music concert, filming the artist on stage. You will find yourself looking at the camera's screen to check that it looks ok more than you are actually looking at the artist with your own eyes. Therefore, you are not fully experiencing the moment while you are there, you only get a half experience. But you think to yourself, 'it's ok, I caught it on camera so I can watch it again properly'. However, we all know what you film on a camera or phone never looks quite how it does in real life and never captures the moment how you remember it from being there. A special moment is not just what you see, but what you hear, what you feel and the people around you (or not around you if you are alone). Those are the things that make the moment special. If you film this moment, you can't fully experience it whilst you're there and you can't fully experience it afterwards when you re-watch it. So you have just wasted that moment and can never fully experience it exactly like it was.
I know I am not alone in doing this and it has really started to shock me when I see a sight like the picture below. All these people aren't properly living in the moment and can't be enjoying it as much as they'd do if they just put down their cameras. Recently I have begun to leave my camera behind and only use my phone for other things and I have noticed a real difference. Every moment I try to capture in my mind rather than with an electronic device. You may not believe me, but just try it, for one day. Put your camera or phone down and enjoy a day where you can make proper memories. Yes, you won't have any physical evidence or record of the moment, but surely what you've remembered in your mind is much better than remembering that time when you sat behind a lens.
Back in February, I went to one of Lauren Aquilina's concerts. Most of the people there had been filming at least some of the concert and when she got to a certain song, she asked us to put our cameras and phones away and just listen. Immediately everyone shuffled around, a bit confused and feeling a bit separated from their cameras, knowing they'd never be able to watch this again. But as soon as this emotional song began, all eyes were on her. Some people were singing along, some people were just listening, but the atmosphere was amazing. Everyone felt connected. Nobody was hiding behind any sort of lens and for that one song, we were just living in the moment.
I am not trying to say that I completely disagree with cameras and filming or taking photos. I think it's great that we can relive a moment over and over again, whenever we like. In some circumstances, taking photos can improve your appreciation of life, which is fantastic! All I'm saying is that, in some moments, especially when you're spending time with friends or family or you're at a special concert, perhaps try to put the camera down and live in the moment.
If you can't see this embedded video, watch it here.
This video is one that went viral a while ago. It is not exactly about cameras, but has the same general point. Look up and live in the moment, because you never know what you might miss if you're living behind the lens.
-What are your thoughts on this? Would you be able to cope without your phone/camera for a day?-
Miss Muggs xx




No comments:
Post a Comment