1. Use shampoo and conditioner that is specifically designed to remove split ends or keep hair healthy.
Also, remember to condition the ends of your hair carefully. I usually use Herbal Essences' Beautiful Ends shampoo and conditioner when I wash my hair. There are various other products you can use, I think most companies which produce shampoo and conditioner have some product line for dealing with split ends. I really like the Herbal Essences ones, partly because they contain 'red raspberry and silk extracts' which smells brilliant and partly because the conditioner makes my hair feel silky soft.2. Avoid blow-drying your hair. Try to either towel dry it and leave it to dry naturally.
It's a well known fact that heat damages hair and hairdryers are just as bad. If you have to blow-dry your hair, try to use a higher fan speed setting and a lower heat setting.
3. When your hair is wet, use a comb rather than a hairbrush.
This may seem like a strange one as I know that so many people brush their hair in the shower or immediately afterwards, but it really is much better to use a comb or at least a wide-toothed paddle brush. They are less damaging when brushing out the knots, especially when your hair is wet and delicate.
4. Don't tug at knots.
This is quite an obvious point, but I thought it needed to be made as I sometimes do this. It is better to work from the bottom of the knot first with little downwards strokes, repeatedly. Just avoid tugging too hard.
5. Don't over brush your hair.
I know a couple of people who will bring hairbrushes with them wherever they go, which is fine if you know there will be specific reason for needing to brush your hair, but over brushing on a daily basis can actually be very damaging. Even if you only brush your hair once a day but use over 100 strokes, it can cause split ends.
6. Look for non-heat hairstyles.
There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube and other websites which are specifically non-heat and sometimes you can get the exact same effect without using heat at all. I understand this is quite difficult if you need to style your hair quickly, but it's definitely worth at least looking.
7. Avoid chemicals.
Obviously if you have to use straighteners or curlers, it is best to use heat protection spray, but quite a lot of other products such as texturising sprays and hairsprays can contain harmful chemicals which aren't good for your hair. Some brands use only organic or natural ingredients in their products, which is generally better for your hair.
8. Don't wash your hair everyday.
There are mixed views on this. Some people rely on washing their hair everyday, others disagree. However, it is generally better to wash your hair every other day instead of everyday as it gives your hair some time for the natural oils produced by your body to naturally repair your hair and strengthen it. I understand that some people absolutely hate having oily hair and feel the need to wash it everyday, but know that those oils you hate are actually good for you.
I thought I'd add that one of the few ways to properly remove split ends is obviously to get your hair cut at the hairdressers or cut it yourself with hair scissors (don't use normal scissors! They can make the split ends worse!). It is suggested that you get your hair cut every 6-8 weeks. However, I hope I've given you some ideas so you can reduce the number of split ends at home and keep your hair healthy.
-Do you have any tips to avoid split ends? I'd love to know them-
Miss Muggs xx

I like to do DIY hair conditioners a couple times a week. They don't smell or look the best, but I can tell a visible difference in my hair.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds awesome! I love DIY things, so maybe I'll try that some time. Nice blog by the way! :)
DeleteAh thank you this really helps! My hair is sooo damaged, hairdressers ALWAYS tell me off haha, ;( x
ReplyDeletehttp://katie-rose96.blogspot.co.uk
Glad I could help! Haha, I'm not even very good at sticking to these rules myself at times :P x
Delete