Right, onto the actual post. Recently both I and a couple of my close friends have been feeling a little down, upset or just generally not ourselves. Luckily I only felt like this for a day or so but I know some people who have been dealing with this feeling for a number of days, weeks or even months. So today I've decided to write a small (hmm..."small") list - oh how I love lists! - of things you can do to make yourself feel happier when you're feeling down or upset.
- Exercise - sometimes I really don't feel like doing this when I'm sad, but it is actually a brilliant way to feel better. Push yourself to go running or something and it will make you feel better, promise
- Make a list - this can be of things to do or just things that make you happy, but I always find this helps a lot
- Sort out something - either just doing the homework that is hanging over you, cleaning your room or sorting out whatever is wrong can give you great satisfaction
- Go out for lunch/coffee/shopping with friends - seeing friends and being able to ramble on about everything that's wrong to a friend is wonderfully satisfying or if you want to keep it to yourself, then going out will take your mind off the problem(s)
- Call up a friend - this form of communication has become quite rare these days with all the texting and instant messaging, but if you can't meet up with someone, calling or skyping someone can be really comforting
- Write in a diary/blog - sometimes you just don't feel like sharing your issues in life, but spilling out your emotions onto a page (whether physical or online) gives you a sense of release without necessarily having to share with people you know
- Read blogs - I'm sure anyone reading this will know that reading blogs is really relaxing and takes your mind of any issues, it really is a great way to pass your time
- Watch YouTube videos - again, I'm sure most people will understand how wonderful YouTube is. There are loads of youtubers who make videos which will definitely take your mind of your problems
- Search using keywords like 'summer', 'christmas', 'sunsets' or 'positive quotes' on Tumblr - I find Tumblr is a great way to feel positive and happier about life. The pictures just make make me think of positive memories of summer holidays and quotes always make me feel more confident and ready to face the day
- Look through positivity boards on Pinterest - again, this is similar, in the sense that Pinterest is filled with beautiful photos and quotes, I mean, who doesn't love a good quote?
- Turn on some fairy lights, put on some comfy clothes and snuggle up in bed with a good book - this has got to be one of my favourite methods of making myself feel better. Everything about it is just great, and if you don't feel keen on reading, then why not grab a hot chocolate or cup of tea and snuggle up with that instead?
- Watch TV - all the great TV series are starting again soon after their summer break, so who cares if you watch 3 hours of TV or 10 episodes of How I Met Your Mother (or whatever you like) in a row? If it makes you feel better, go for it!
- Watch a romcom or chick flick - any feel good movie is guaranteed to make you smile and be sucked out of reality for about 2 hours
- Bake cupcakes - food is a wonderful thing when you're feeling upset and making it is even better. Especially cupcakes. Because cupcakes are heavenly.
- Songwriting/dancing/painting/drawing/writing a story/poem - this is another favourite of mine. Creating something (anything!) can help you to release all your emotions and feelings into your creation without having to directly talk about them. Everyone has their own way of expressing their feelings, so I think it's important to work out what your's is and do it
These are just some of the things I like to do when I'm feeling sad, but there are plenty of others, many of which are personal to each and every one of us. So whatever you think will make you feel better, then do it. No matter what other people say. Well, obviously if you have a deadline for school or work, take that into consideration rather than wasting an entire weekend watching TV and reading. It'll only make you more stressed! I want to say a big thank you to one of my friends, who helped me with some of these ideas. I know she's probably reading this right now, so thank you!
-What do you like to do when you're feeling a bit down?-
Miss Muggs xx


No comments:
Post a Comment